Friday, March 30, 2007

Right now, go give your kids a hug


Today was just like most days, nothing special going on. Britlyn and Makenna were watching cartoons around noon and Britlyn started getting really upset because I had picked out her clothes today. She started throwing a fit, so I put Ellie down on the floor while I was trying to reason with Britlyn. I checked on her every now and then, just to make sure she wasn't getting into anything she shouldn't. Britlyn just wasn't letting up... crying, whining, pouting, etc. you name it! I was getting upset at her defiance and she was just about to get a time out. I glanced over at Ellie and she'd rolled herself into the pantry, no big deal. I only keep waters on the ground. Well, apparently the girls must have been in the pantry recently because I looked over again and I saw her with the strawberry milk powder container in her hand. I kind of laughed to myself, but then I noticed the lid was off. I immediately ran over to her and her whole face was covered in the powder. I picked her up ran over to the sink and began to dig the powder out of her mouth and throat. I jammed my finger as far as I possibly could down her throat trying to dig it all out. She wasn't crying or screaming because her throat was completely closed off. She couldn't breath. I was terrified! With all the adrenaline going I just shut the fear off. I just kept digging the stuff out of her over and over. Finally she let out a bit of a cry. I've never been so happy to hear my baby cry. I knew that meant she had AIR! I dug out a bit more, but then she seemed to be able to breathe okay. I tried to feed her real quick thinking the liquid would help dissolve the powder, but she wouldn't take any. I told Britlyn and Makenna to get in the car, and we drove over to the Urgent Care clinic right by our house. She had coughed up some really red gunk and I wasn't sure if it was all strawberry milk or if some of it was blood from me digging in her throat. By the time the doctor got to her she was breathing fine and wasn't coughing anymore stuff up. The doctor looked her over and said the only thing I need to watch for is if she got any of it powder in her lungs it would cause some kind of pneumonia, so for the next couple of weeks if she starts to have trouble breathing, gets a fever, gets a cough, anything like that, to bring her in immediately. I am supposed to take her into our pediatrician on Monday and have her lungs x-rayed too. While it was happening I kept my cool really well, but in the car on the way to the doctor it just started to hit me and I was shaking soooo bad. I was yelling at the red lights to turn green. Makenna asked me why I wanted Ellie to be green. I explained I didn't want Ellie to be green I wanted the light to turn green. I've never had to take any of my children into the doctor for any sort of emergency like that, and I never want to have to again. It was the scariest thing. I can't imagine anything worse than if I hadn't looked over and seen her with that container. She wasn't making any noise because she couldn't, so I would've never known she was in trouble. Go hug your kids!! Poor little Ellie has had a rough day since then. I don't think she's feeling very well. She's been real clingy and cries real easy, and that's just not like her. I am so grateful she's okay. Tonight in Britlyn's prayer she prayed that Ellie wouldn't die. My heart just sunk, she was so scared too. We love you little Ellie, and we're so glad you are safe and with us tonight!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Noel... I was on pin and needles reading your post. When you started telling about the powder and how she ingested it, I just didn't see that coming. I figured she was covered in it, but it hadn't occured to me that she was choking on it. I think my baby is the same age as Ellie (he's 8 months) and it seriously just made me very afraid. My first never got into anything. But he's going to be different - I can already tell. He's on the verge of crawling and it really does make me nervous.

I am so glad that she's okay and that you were able to act on instinct so well. It's amazing how we do what needs to be done at those times. You did good. I will pray that her lungs are clear and that all is well.

I feel bad even mentioning the photo after reading that story, but I just have to say that it is gorgeous. Absolute perfection and I love your crop.

Kellie Larsen said...

ohhh my gosh how terrifing! last year we had to rush Kase to the hospital after he feel and lost his sight, it was so horrible. i totally know that feeling...but i am sooo glad that she is ok...you had someone watching over you!

Tracey Kendall said...

oh Noel...my heart goes out to you. It is the most scary thing in the whole wide world. Our son last year was choking. At first l wasn't scared because mt husband was home and is trained to CPR (on the fire dept.)....after a few seconds my son went limp and stopped breathing. My DH looked at me in terror and screamed call 911 now.....in those tiny tiny minuyes l had every thought flash through me. It has to be the WORST feeling ever. While the ambulance was on the way and my DH was doing CPR he started breathing. The whole time this was happening my daughter was watching and crying. It affected all of us. So l can understand how you must feel. I couldn't stop hugging and kisses them.
I am glad that all is well and hope that that never happens again to you or anyone.

Amanda said...

I'm totally crying right now. How scary for you! I'm glad that everything turned out okay and I hope all goes well over the next few weeks. {{hugs}}

swampbaby said...

OH Noel! I am so glad your baby is ok. And yay for you for being so level-headed. I am the worst at freaking out at the wrong times. Mason has started rolling all over the place now and I am really nervous about what he will pick up and get into. I'll keep you in my prayers!

Ren said...

How absolutely terrifying!

You did so well though. I don't know what I would of done in the same situation but I can only hope that I'd be as level headed as you were.

Now that every is ok and she's fine, take a moment to let yourself freak out though. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG, I felt exactly as Debbie when reading your story..And then got so scared. I am so happy she's ok. How terrifying.....

Tiffany said...

Reading this post made me very emotional. I am so glad Ellie is okay. Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Noel! I'm a lurker, but this is my new favorite blog! I LOVE IT! Your ideas, photography and stories are soo cute and inspiring. I LOVE the shot of your dd's in bed sleeping. SO CUTE! And your coookies...YUM! Love the blog, I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

Noel - how scary! I'm so glad she's ok. That mommy instict is a powerful thing! We had a scare with Taryn and pesticides last week and it still sits like a rock in my stomach I'm so glad your baby is safe and sound...hugs!!

Anonymous said...

OMGosh .. I am so happy she is ok .. How scared you must have been. I was just reading about it!
Cameron got his finger caught in the crack of the door last night... really back - and I just wanted to die!! My little baby and a bobo - not supposed to get those!! :) He is ok now .. but I just wanted to break down crying .. I go check on him 2-3 times at night .. and I could stand there for hours just looking at him - cause I love him soooo much .. I would do anything for him!!
I guess we can all relate!! :)
Thanks for sharing Noel .. I hope she is back to her usual ...

Megan said...

Yikes...so glad that baby Ellie is alright. Big hugs to you!

Marla said...

Oh, Noel, what a horrible experience. I'm so glad to hear Ellie is ok. Sending extra hugs your way ....

Amy said...

Oh my goodness I'm so glad she is ok!!! That is every mother's worst nightmare. You handled it so great, it's hard to know exactly what to do in that kind of situation. And yes...I will go hug by babies now!!! Whew!!!!

Anonymous said...

Noel, how is Ellie doing?...

Angela said...

This is the first time I have visited your blog. Your story had me in tears. How terrifying! I am glad she will be ok. It's amazing how a mother just knows what to do in a crisis like that. I will keep Ellie in my prayers.

Noel said...

Yhank you all so much for your kind words and concern. Ellie is doing very well right now, so far no signs of that pnemonia. Thank you all so much!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord she is okay. I was literally on edge reading your post.

~Jenn H~ said...

Noel, I'm so glad she's okay. I know how terrifying that can be, we've had breathing issues with my son since birth, including aspiration pneumonia, which I'm thinking is the type of pneumonia your Dr. said to watch out for. I've never had to deal with an emergency situation, though, it's all been CLD (chronic lung disease) related. Praise God for your quick instincts, and that she's safe at home with you. ((hugs))